Friday, August 19, 2011

Latest Owl sighting

Here are a few photos of my latest owl sighting at Harrison Hills Park. These were taken on Thursday morning, August 18, 2011. I also heard and saw both immature Great-horned Owls in the same valley where they were born on Wednesday morning -- that morning they were both making calls back and forth. I really enjoy hearing their calls, and every time it reinforces my recognition of the call.

The Wood Thrush and other migrants have stopped singing their songs, but they remain in the woods. I saw three thrushes, one was an immature that was learning how to fly, and one of the parents was doing it's loud call not as if to coax the youngster to fly off. I was wondering if this is normal, or if perhaps they wanted to get out of the way of the owls.

These pictures were taken when a really heavy fog was just lifting. I'll post more as the fog lessened.



No comments:

Post a Comment